
Tonight I went to dinner with my cousins who are in town from Israel, and there was a lot of us at the table so it was very easy to have side conversations. I was sitting there with my brother and my cousin and all three of us were in Israel over the past year. The three of us sat there watching how they react to our culture, and I was feeling very nostalgic as I thought about my time as a tourist in Israel myself. One of my cousins from Israel does not speak great English however he understands it very well. For the most part he just sat there and listened to what every one had to say, or who knows maybe he was not paying attention at all. That it probably what I would have done if i was in his position. I do speak Hebrew, however if I went to dinner with a bunch of Israelis I do not think I would have the confidence to talk to them. But I have no problem talking to Americans in Hebrew. I think this is because I am scared to speak their language incorrectly or embarrass myself. If I am with other Americans I have nothing to loose, so it really makes no difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment