Sunday, December 14, 2008

Judgments

So this weekend I took the ACT at New Trier high school. New Trier is very similar to Stevenson in the way that they are both huge and noted as academically exceptional. However, even though the schools are so similar when I went there I was the outsider. I was taking a step into a territory that was not mine. Now, I stood there waiting for the doors to open with a bunch of other kids and I wondered if any of them were thinking anything differently of me. Now i know you are probably thinking how ridiculous that is since I am a white girl from the suburbs but there is still that notion that I was an outsider. I am use to a big school, but I walked in not having a clue where I was suppose to go. I didn't know how to get to my classroom or what  was considered the main entrance. It was easy to figure out because all I had to do was follow the rest of the students, and it was interesting because in this case conforming helped me. It was to my benefit to follow what these kids were doing. It made me think about conformity a lot and the benefits of standing out and blending it. 

No comments: