Thursday, September 11, 2008

Generalization

After reading the Charon article about generalization, I have thought a lot about how much we do actually generalize. We are taught at a young age what is right and what is wrong in a general perspective. I liked the example of someone having a cold. It is a generalization, when someone has a cold it is best to stay away because you will catch it. I think generalizing is not bad, but it is important not to over generalize. Also, having accurate generalizations is important. Besides the small generalizations that most of us are unable to escape in our daily lives, the bigger generalizations about religious or ethnic groups for example, should be generalized more carefully. When generalizations are overdone, they easily turn into stereotypes. 

2 comments:

annette said...

i agree, its definitely easy to overgeneralize someone or something and that is turned into a stereotype. i have noticed that is done very often.

Kayla said...

Gerneralization is a problem with everyone but it is too hard to stop because people never know when they're doing it. I definatly agree that gernealization turns into stereotypes and then that often turns into racism.