Sunday, October 5, 2008

Different Groups Within Our Society..

Yesterday was my friend's birthday and she absolutely loves thrift shops and all that hippie stuff so we decided to go down to belmont and clark. We took the CTA down there and figured out how to get around. We went to a bunch of really cool record stores, thrift shops, boutiques, and cafes. It was a lot of fun. In the beginning the whole artsy vibe really kicked in to me. It made me want to bring out this artistic side in me, that I never believed I had. The feeling of being in this area that I was unfamiliar with really fascinated me. However, it started to get darker outside and I have to admit I started getting creeped out a little. There were transvestites walking around, Gothic people screaming, random homeless people playing music on the streets, and everyone just stood there bumming cigarettes from one and other. I felt out of place and uncomfortable, so my friends and I decided to take the subway down to state street. On the subway at nine o' clock and night I sat there awkwardly looking and all the different types of people on the train. I wondered where they came from, where they were going, and how they became frequent subway riders. I wondered what qualified someone as being a skecthy person on the train, and what they were all thinking of me. I contemplate my thoughts for a while and I looked around and I realized that everyone is just going about their own lives on the subway. Peoples seemed to either be talking to their friend, on their cell phone, or lost in their own thoughts. I decided that if i let myself sink in to that, to become part of the frequent subway riders I probably would not look or feel so awkward. I talked to my friends for the rest of the ride and i tried to let the feelings I had slip away. 

1 comment:

Sydnie D said...

Alex, I've experienced something similar. I am surprised you even stayed there so late. In a similar situation, I was very uncomfortable too. I defidently don't blame you for leaving, seeing so many different things happening at once is a huge culture shock, and being alone in the city at night probably isn't so safe either. Your epiphany on the subway is also very cool. When I went to New York, riding the subway is considered so normal but here its isn't, so I saw very different people in both places on the subway. Anyway, cool entry and I can't wait to see your new clothes!