Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tuesdays With Morrie

Ever since we watched this movie in class I have been thinking about Morrie and all of the concepts that he presents a lot. The idea of work in our society holds an importance in who we are. How much money someone makes and their job title has became a persons definition. 
When people introduce each other, often they say:
"This is my son Michael, he is a doctor"
or "This is Sally, she is studying at NYU"
This starts at a very young age, where job titles take over a person. Society is let to believe that money and job titles are what is important. However, we cannot let these things define us. Morrie could do a million things with his life, but being a teacher made him happy and the amount of money he was making did not matter. The phrase "Money does not make you happy" is ignored a lot of the time, but people should really look into the reality of this quote and they will realize that it is true. You can put all of your energy into a job, or work hard in school but you must ask yourself, where is this going to get me? Am I happy where I am? You have to enjoy life, work is not as important as happiness.

2 comments:

Sydnie D said...

Aww alex, yet again very insightful. I love you and want to thank you again for attending my papa's shiva, it meant a lot to me. I agree, money truly does not buy happiness. Happiness is a state of mind. Afterall, the phrase poor little rich girl was not coined for no reason. Rich people have problems, so do poor people. Money doesn't designate who will be happy or sad. It is all up to you.

Sal said...

Yes I agree - very insightful. Great observation. This was part of my "nothing" assignment that I forgot to address in class. Americans tie their identity so closely to what they do that it is hard for them to understand themselves without doing something. That is why the nothign assignment is so tough to do. That is what you are describing here. Cool.